Aiya – Production Optimization for Pulp & Paper
In the Pulp & Paper industry Aiya is used in multiple production lines and mills. End-products, whose quality and production has been optimized using Aiya include dissolving pulp, soft and hard wood pulp as well as fluff pulp.
Typical quality parameters include brightness and viscosity that are followed throughout the production stages
AI modeling algorithms are selected per each specific process stage so that each stage can be made to perform optimally
The high-value of the solution both for the pulp business as well as for the production personnel has been verified through close collaboration with Stora Enso. The development journey included proof-of-value and pilots to verify the use cases, and AI feasibility for the optimization problem. The solution is now in use in several mills in Finland and Sweden.
Aiya – Key Functionalities
All key functionality of Aiya is used when the solution is implemented in a Pulp & Paper production process and unit.
Aiya user interface shows the production process stages
This includes all selected process parameters, which values can be modified through the intuitive user interface.
- The user interface (UI) shows the historical process performance, with both predicted and measured check points, as well as the predicted process outcome.
- The UI can be configured for each specific process to include only relevant data and functionality.
Minimizing the use of chemicals is done through the process optimization
This can be done automatically and/or by modifying selected configuration item based on current priorities.
Dedicated functionality for industry professionals
While developing the Aiya solution Pulp industry professionals were tightly involved to development process which is shown in the application as
- Aiya includes only needed, specialized application functionality designed to be used by production engineers and operators.
- The powerful functionality can be used with tablets as the UI design is simplistic, intuitive and yet comprehensive.
Integrated communication tools
The collaboration between production professionals and teams has to be fluent, which is enabled by integrated communication tools for giving instructions, feedback and creating operative logs.
Aiya – Benefits for Pulp & Paper
- In Pulp production the maximum income of the end-product is secured when the product targets are met as accurately as possible. Aiya has enabled achieving target product quality up to 97%, improving the former process performance by several percentages.
- The other key profitability factor is to minimize production costs. With Aiya the use of chemicals is one of the main set of parameters that is continuously optimized resulting in significant cost savings without jeopardizing the product quality. The in-direct cost saving can be achieved from decreased use of energy.
- Pulp Production is a complex process that includes a vast amount of variables. Different production stages each having its own set of parameters, sensor data and requirement for real-time decision making are setting high expectations to production personnel. A key element that Aiya provides is a new level of process transparency.
- Everything relevant is shown in a visual manner in the application UI.
- Historical process performance can be continuously assessed as a reference.
- Every change to process parameters and its impact to future performance can be verified instantly through simulations and prediction.
- Aiya’s functionalities and capabilities have been designed to help production engineers and operators in their daily work.
- When monitoring the process performance in a reliable manner has become easier, working time can be used for other operative tasks without setting risks to production.
- Fluent communication between and within teams is improving daily working environment – making collaboration easier.
Want to hear more?