Trimble Feedback AI extension interprets the content of a citizen feedback automatically and guides the user to relevant information.
Through Trimble Feedback citizens and stakeholders can provide feedback in a digital format to the municipality easily and quickly. The system utilizes location information, and the map is used to accurately position feedback to a specific location. Questions and answers can also be published for the whole community.
The new artificial intelligence extension will be available to customers in the summer of 2021. AI based automation identifies the topic of the feedback text and helps both the citizen writing the feedback and authorities processing them. The municipality can create themes for recurring topics and decide what information would help the user. When the user writes feedback, the AI suggests going directly to a web page containing relevant information.
– For example, if the citizen feedback refers to Coronavirus, the system can immediately show vaccination schedules and locations. Seasonal variations can also be taken into account, such as snow plowing in winter, says Jukka Vänttinen, Trimble’s Product Development Director.
In addition, the system displays similar feedback already provided. Instead of sending new feedback, the user may like the feedback of others. This information is passed on to the people that are in charge of that specific topic in the city.
– We had two major goals for this development. We bring additional information to the feedback provider a bit like unnoticed. Second, we help and support the work of persons processing the feedback through automatic interpretation and analysis, says Chief Operating Officer Kai Lehtinen from Top Data Science.
A medium-sized city can receive more than ten thousand feedbacks a year. Already today in the Trimble Feedback solution the new citizen feedback is directed automatically to the right person in charge, but now the system also automatically interprets the content.
– Artificial intelligence highlights the desired themes and analyzes the text so that the processor can see at a glance what the issue is about, which location the feedback concerns and whether it is a matter of the past or the future, Jukka Vänttinen says.
Currently municipalities can decide for themselves whether to publish feedback directly for others to see. With the new AI extension, the solution identifies sensitive information and prevents it being published as such.
– The extension is based on the ability of modern artificial intelligence technology to interpret natural language. It masters well even casually written text and raffle word choices. The combination of an advanced feedback system and advanced artificial intelligence automation is the first of its kind on the market, says Kai Lehtinen.
The artificial intelligence extension has been developed in collaboration with Trimble, Top Data Science, the City of Jyväskylä and the City of Lahti.
– The joint development of the four parties has worked brilliantly. Jyväskylä and Lahti highlighted the needs of municipalities through concrete examples, Trimble has a state-of-the-art feedback system and expertise, and we at Top Data Science have the ability to apply the best artificial intelligence technologies. The extension is not city-specific, but the team was constantly looking for a solution that would suit all cities. We co-created the best possible result together, Kai Lehtinen says.
Product Development Director, Trimble
+358 40 7084369
COO, Top Data Science
+358 40 5912369
About Trimble Utilities & Public Administration
Trimble Utilities & Public Administration provides our customers in the energy distribution, water supply and public administration sectors with software solutions whose key features are strong spatial data capabilities, modularity and interoperability. Our software supports design, construction, operation and maintenance processes and builds high-quality, electronic customer service solutions.
About Top Data Science
Top Data Science provides leading-edge AI-based solutions and services from world-class multi-industry enterprises to focused service companies and public sector organizations. was founded by an elite team of data scientists and business development professionals with a passion to solve our customer’s toughest business problems with AI.
Top Data Science is a Morpho Group company. Established in 2004, Morpho Inc. is a global leader in image processing and imaging AI solutions, with headquarters in Tokyo, Japan and listed on Tokyo Stock Exchange.